Thai Style Carrot Salad with Mango
Crunchy ribbons of vegetables dressed in spicy chili, bright, citrusy lime and salty fish sauce. Perfect for hot summer days alongside grilled meat or fish. Highly adaptable to whatever vegetables you have on hand.
Servings 2 people
- 3 carrots , large
- 2 cucumbers , small Persian ones are best
- 1/2 mango , firm but ripe
- cilantro , handful of leaves
- mint , handful of leaves
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove , large (or 2 small)
- 1-2 Thai chili peppers , start with one and add more if wanted
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp sugar , palm or coconut is preferred
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce , based on your taste
Prepare vegetables by using a vegetable peeler to make ribbons of carrot, cucumber and mango. Layer along with cilantro and mint in a large bowl or on a platter.
For the dressing: Using a mortar and pestle (or pulse with a food processor), pound the garlic and then the chilis until completely broken down. Add the lime juice, palm/coconut sugar and fish sauce. Pound everything together to combine. Taste and adjust ratios if needed. Should be equal levels sweet, sour, spicy, salty and savory.
Pour over salad and mix well a few minutes before serving.
The addition of chopped roasted peanuts or cashews would work very nicely here. © Olive Oil Sweet Pea 2015