Cilantro Lime Steak Tacos
- 2 lbs chuck roast or skirt steak
- tortillas , flour or corn
- queso fresco , mild feta can be substituted in a pinch
- pickled red onion , optional (link to recipe in notes)
- 4 cloves garlic , peeled and quartered
- 1 jalapeno , deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 lime , juiced
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 sprigs oregano , leaves removed (or 1/2 tbsp dried)
- cilantro , large handful, roughly chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes , chopped
- 8 radishes , chopped into matchsticks
- 1 medium red onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 lime , juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Make the magic and marinate the steak:
In a food processor pulse together the garlic, jalapeño, lime juice, white vinegar, olive oil, salt, black pepper, oregano, and cilantro.
Trim meat of excess fat. If using chuck roast, cut diagonally across the grain into 1/4 inch slices. Skirt steak can be marinated whole.
In a zip-lock bag or large baking dish combine steak with prepared marinade. Seal bag or wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for 1 to 8 hours. Do not exceed 8 hours or steak will over tenderize.
Get chopping that fresh salsa:
In a medium bowl, combine ingredient thoroughly. Let stand for 15 minutes to an hour to let flavors develop.
Grill and assemble:
Remove steak from marinade. Using a grill, grill pan or skillet, cook until medium-rare. If using sliced chuck roast, work in batches to cook steak on both sides. Skirt steak can be cooked whole.
Allow steak to rest for 5 minutes before chopping chuck roast into bite size pieces or to thinly slice the skirt steak on a diagonal across the grain.
Warm the tortillas using a dry skillet or grill until they bend easily and get some toasty color and flavor.
Assemble tacos by layering steak, fresh salsa, pickled onions and cheese to your liking.
Serve alongside hot sauce, lime wedges and extra cilantro to garnish. Ice cold beer would go nicely, too... just saying.
Quick Pickled Red Onion recipe here. I also like to add a pinch of red pepper flakes. You can make the onions up to 2 weeks ahead, otherwise, prepare recipe alongside the marinade. Allow onions to pickle for a few hours while steak marinates in the refrigerator. © Olive Oil Sweet Pea 2015